Saturday, October 17, 2009

Lara Stone Blackface Photos: Paris Vogue Sparks Controversy | The News is NowPublic.com

Lara Stone Blackface Photos: Paris Vogue Sparks Controversy | The News is NowPublic.com

Let me say that I think of Vogue as THE Bible of fashion and well, all things wonderful...and that Paris is where I want to live out my days when I get tired of the States.  (I am thinking of getting a nice little apartment not far from Coco Chanel's studio!) However, when I got a look at the pictures at the center of the controversy surrounding model Lara Stone "blacked out" for the photo shoot, I had to give myself a bitch slap.

The artistry of the magazine itself is always avant guard and leap years ahead of the mainstream fashion rags, but when you take the time and energy to put black makeup all over a model (well ok, maybe it didn't take that long with her weighing less than a build a bear stuffed animal), you could very well have had a dark-skinned model of African or Caribbean descent ready to go!  I don't get why dark-skinned models are not "fashionable" to use in person, but when it comes to shooting an artistic photo the white models are "Africanized" through makeup, apparel or accessories.  Hell, they could have asked Naomi Campbell to do the shoot since she is quite the walker and darker than any of the new mannequins on the scene now.  Personally, I believe that Naomi Campbell will be walking the runway at 65 while the other chicks will be on their second child or their second stint of rehab.

Anyway, I have some advice for the Bible editors worldwide...you don't have to be afraid of the black models! The black makeup that you use on a white model is so lame...it doesn't even look like a real color! The natural hue of a black model is wonderful against any backdrop...and it's cheaper to use makeup on their face as opposed to the whole body! Wise up people.  Make the catwalk look like the world and not some D.W. Griffith atrocity.

No comments:

Post a Comment